Monday, November 17, 2014

Pop

I was having a conversation with a co-worker(I’ll call him George), and the MUZAK system started playing a song by Kylie Minogue called “I can’t get you out of my head” I mentioned that a former co-worker hated pop music, he would go on for hours if I’d let him about how all pop music artists were talentless hacks who owe their livelihood to auto-tune more than any real talent, with the lone exception of Kylie Minogue and the song “I Can’t Get You Out of My Head” was his favorite song and it showed that SHE had real talent.

As part of the conversation “George” said that he likes Miley Cyrus. Now I couldn't care less about what pop singer “George” likes, but I mentioned that I never willingly listened to a Miley Cyrus song, and then I had to correct myself.

Last year when the big media generated “controversy” broke about Miley Cyrus appearing nude in the video for her song “Wrecking Ball” I like millions of other people around the world sought out the aforementioned video online. Now I’m not going to give you my opinion on the song or Miley Cyrus’ talent as a singer, but I am going to tell you what I did when I watched the video.

The video opens with an extreme close-up on Cyrus’ face as she starts singing. The video was in high def and it was playing on my computer’s monitor and I’m sitting maybe 2 feet from it. Watching the video, as she’s singing I notice that she has this “thread” of saliva connecting her top and bottom teeth. It was hypnotic. My eyes stayed glued to this little strand of spit as I waited for it to break, it didn’t, ever. All the way through the video whenever they cut back to that close-up the saliva strand was still there hanging on like a trooper. As I was watching, I remember thinking why couldn't they stop and give this girl a drink of water?


So, yes I have willingly watched a Miley Cyrus video, but the whole naked swinging on a wrecking ball thing is but a blur in my memory, and all I can recall about the damn thing is that she has saliva that might possibly be used as a bungee cord.

No comments: